Monday, July 9, 2007

Video solution, part 4 - Home Theater PC

As you might have gleaned from my summary of media players I'm not really happy with the current alternatives available. This leaves me with one option: getting a HTPC. It might sound easy in theory, but can be infinately complicated in practice. I've decided to look at hardware and software simultaneously and look at the alternatives as a complete system. Of course you can install Myth TV on a hardware you originally planned for MCE (if there's Linux support for your HW). The options for me are:
  • A Linux system with PVR software
  • An OS X system
  • A Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (or XP) based system
  • A Windows Vista Home Premium system
There are a couple of alternatives for Linux, where MythTV seems to be the best choice. Going this route will probably take some time to set up, but get you a great system once everything is up and running. Other cons include lack of hardware support for newer hardware. I was hoping on using a graphics card that could off-load the processor for HD decoding and I haven't seen any support for those in Linux yet. Also, not all DVB-T tuner cards are fully supported. So, tempting as it may be, I'll move on to the next option:

An OS X system. The Mac Mini is close to a perfect fit for an HTPC but it does not have HDMI out (it does have DVI, and a DVI->HDMI converter so you can get the image to your TV but no sound), its built on the Core Duo (not the Core 2 Duo which is a 64-bit processor as opposed to the 32-bit Core Duo) and also the hardware is overdue for an update. If Apple were to release a new version of the Mac Mini anytime soon with HDMI I'd buy that in an instant. You need a third party solution for DVB-T recording; Elgato seems to have the best solution for this.

Many people swear by Windows Media Center Edition 2005 since they have something up and running that they are pleased with. I'm building a new system and am very reluctant to go with an old operating system. Which leaves me with:

Windows Vista Home Edition. Its certainly not the be-all and end-all for everyone, but this would be my choice if I were to build a system today. It has a built-in Media Center and even if people complain about driver support I'm sure its better than for Linux when going for new hardware. E.g. I'm looking at the Radeon HD 2400 Pro graphics card for off-loading the processor when playing back HD content and there's no support in Linux for that card. (Apparently there's barely support in Windows, but that's another matter.) Choosing Vista also leaves the door open for alternative DVR software such as Mediaportal, DVB Viewer or GB-PVR should I not be happy with the built in Media Center.

Most problems reported with Vista and MCE are related to viewing scrambled channels, and as I mentioned in my first post in this series this is not something I need to do. What remains now is to choose between 64-bit and 32-bit Vista and set up a suitable hardware configuration. But that's for the next post.

1 comment:

Craig Taverner said...

Have you considered LinuxMCE, which seems to be a very nicely wrapped MythTV, with HD support if you can believe the video demo. See the linuxmce.org and www.fiire.com sites for info. Definitely watch the video, it is super-cool.