Thursday, July 19, 2007

HTPC status report

Things are starting to look good now. Let's get the problems out of the way:
  • I've had one recording with no sound. Not sure what it is and the thread I found on greenbutton did not help.
  • This morning the system had not gone back to stand-by after a recording during the night. The show was properly recorded though.
  • My VFD (physical display) is not only dim as some users have reported - its not working at all. Will contact support about that and see if they can help.
What is working at the moment?
  • I can playback 720p matroska files. And the quality is brilliant. Playback even works within MCE.
  • I can record TV shows and entire series very easily. With good quality.
  • I can pause live TV up to two hours.
  • I can get 5.1 audio (although I have to manually switch between audio through HDMI (to the TV) or through optical (to my surround system))
  • Thumbnails for all videos in MCE
  • Burning a recorded TV show to a DVD works. Somewhat. The aspect ratio for a show in 4:3 format became 16:9 which is not good.
What have I done, and what should you do?
  • I uninstalled Nero and threw it far away.
  • I installed CCCP
  • I installed 7-zip
  • I uninstalled Adobe Acrobat and installed Foxit instead for PDF files
What remains to be done?
  • Since finding all channels was a real nightmare I want to back up the channels file. Need to find where it is and back it up.
  • I hate the caps lock key and always re-map it to ctrl. Haven't done that yet for the HTPC, but will soon.
  • See if I can get the music library working with music stored on another machine (where I already have all my music collection and a slimserver running for my Squeezebox)
  • Do the same for images that are stored on the same machine where my music is
  • Fix aspect ratio for burning 4:3 TV shows to DVD
  • Test DVD playback and make it region free
  • Set up DVD ripping (DVD Fab Decrypter and Any DVD are main contenders), perhaps coupled with Handbrake to store to DivX immediately.
  • Get DVB-T subtitling to work
  • Probably tons of other stuff that will come to me eventually. But I'll leave something for future posts.

No comments: