Friday, July 13, 2007

HTPC: The non-decision decision

After doing some research on different routes for an entertainment system I ended up feeling most comfortable with an HTPC. It basically boiled down to two options: the Scaleo EVI or an AMD-based system built on discrete components. Both alternatives are about 10kSEK.

What do I get for this money that I don't already have today?
  1. Recording of TV programming in SD
  2. Possibility to view downloaded HD material
I already have a DVD-player. I can already watch DivX material (albeit over sneakernet - burning a CD and walking with it to my DVD-player). An HTPC will not give me HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. There's no terrestrial HD broadcasting where I live (and I will not install a satellite dish). Paying 10kSEK for being able to record TV shows and viewing downloaded HD material is simply too much money.

If TV recording comes to the Apple TV that might be one way to go. A Scaleo EVI with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray for 10kSEK might be another. A silent TViX 4100-SH a third.

None of which alternatives are available today.

So I have decided. To wait.

If I were to go for a solution today it would be the Scaleo EVI with 32-bit Vista, but the risk of not being able to update it to support HD broadcast and HD-DVD/Blu-ray in the future holds me back. And I'm not interesting in spending the time on building a system on my own - even if its put together by a store I will need to spend time on configuration and software installations.

No comments: