Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Google Analytics working

Ok, I found the problem with Google Analytics. I was pointing to niklasmorberg.blogger.com, a site that does not exist. At first I felt stupid for making such a simple mistake, but having thought about it Google Analytics is to blame. The error message I got from them was that my tracker was not installed properly, but the real problem was that the URL was invalid.

I'll try to report this to the Analytics team, mostly as an exercise to see if and how they respond. The proper response obviously being an update to their error message.

2 comments:

CF said...

Niklas: Let me know what exactly you did. I left the tag right above "/body" but they haven't picked it up for tracking. For other sites I have, it seems as if they picked up the code quickly.
Thanks
http://soundgreen.blogspot.com/

Niklas Morberg said...

First of all, it takes forever (at least a couple of days) before the "collecting data" status goes away. If you have that you're good to go. You can still click for more info and look at preliminary data.

If you are sure you are pointing at the correct URL (and by this I mean really sure - the error message from Analytics is incorrect) you should double check the code you have entered and make sure you have installed the correct tracker. If you try to add your site twice in Analytics you should use the new updated tracking code.

I looked at your HTML for soundgreen and it looks fine. Hope this helps.