Monday, July 9, 2007

Finding a video solution that makes me happy

This is the first post in a series where I'm trying to find a video solution that makes me happy.

I'm picky. I'm not impossible, but picky. Having looked all over for a good solution for handling my music I settled for the Squeezebox and I must say I'm very satisfied. There are a few performance issues with the server; if I haven't been using the remote for a while it sometimes takes a long time before the Squeezebox reacts to input. Other than that its excellent.

Having the music part taken care of I now need to find a solution for my TV and movies. Did I mention I'm picky? But not impossible. My top priorities are to:
  • Record Swedish DVB-T freeview channels in SD with 5.1 sound, including show series programming
  • Watch DivX/Xvid in up to 720p resolution
  • Watch DVD:s
  • 5.1 sound output over optical or coaxial to my surround system
  • HDMI output for video and sound to my TV
  • Have a really nice looking and easy to use GUI
  • Have a rock solid, quiet system with as low power consumption as possible
  • No wired network (i.e. if a network is needed it has to be wireless)
I would also like to (but these are not absolutes):
  • Pause Live-TV
  • Dual tuners to record two programs simultaneously
  • Watch and record Swedish DVB-T freeview channels in HD (only test transmissions in Stockholm at the moment, unclear whether or not this will become a reality and when)
  • Watch HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray once the format war is settled
  • Have a nice looking physical box
I do not necessarily need:
  • A gaming platform
  • A VFD
  • To watch encoded TV channels
  • To surf the Internet on my TV
  • One box for everything - multiple boxes is fine if not ideal
Btw, my TV is a Samsung 42" plasma which is not suited as a computer monitor but excellent as a TV.

In the coming posts we'll take a look at possible solutions listing pros and cons. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a Home Theater PC (HTPC), but then again I might not. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Johannes said...

As far as I know TV-receivers lacs either networking or DVD option. DVD-recorders doesn't have networking or if they have network they don't have a digital TV-receiver. Mediaplayers have networking but no DVD-reader or TV-reciever.

Or have you found some new product that has it all?

Niklas Morberg said...

johannes: The TViX M-4100SH is close, but not quite there. That's why I think I'll end up with an HTPC. But I still want to list all the alternatives to give a background to my reasoning.