Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Choosing an HTPC

Now that I've decided on an HTPC running Vista, all that remains to do is to get a system. I can either get a pre-built system from a major supplier or go for a system assembled from parts - either by myself or a store.

The pre-built systems are nice, somewhat expensive and not very easy to expand. A Sony Vaio system might be a good choice, but I haven't found any in Sweden. Other options are Scaleo EVI (12kSEK) or Acer Aspire Idea (11kSEK). If I drop the HDMI requirement an FIC spectra for 8kSEK might be an option. (The Scaleo is available for 10kSEK at netonnet - and they have it in stock in Malmö close to where I live. Interesting...)

The main problem with these systems is that they are most likely not possible to upgrade later. The main reason for this would be to be able to use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray in the future. Another option would of course be to get a separate stand-alone player.

The benefits of a pre-built system is that they are well integrated, everything should play well together and they have a relatively nice form factor.

Looking at a system built from components then. There are a couple of firms in Sweden that sell HTPC:s they assemble themselves. The ones I've found are pyrotech.se and tvpc.se. A local firm such as itel also might have HTPC models.

My price point is around 10kSEK (I wouldn't cry if it was cheaper) and in that category pyrotech has their HTPC 2 system for just shy of 8kSEK. Itel's version costs 8.500 SEK, but has more memory and a slightly larger disk but no TV-card. Add another 1kSEK for that and the price is similar to the Scaleo EVI system from netonnet. Oh, I also need a USB stick for WiFi so thats another 300 SEK.

All of these choices are driving me mad - and is the reason for me writing these posts. I must try to make some sense of it.

If I'm going for an assembled system, at least I've decided on getting the Antec Fusion chassi and an AMD processor (I'm leaning towards the new low power BE-2350) with a G690 motherboard. For a TV-card I want the Hauppauge Win Nova T-500 which has dual DVB-T tuners (no encrypted channels).

Hopefully I will have decided soon and can tell you what system I got. But if you have any comments or pointers on what to get, please let me know.

1 comment:

Niklas Morberg said...

Upon closer investigation the FIC spectra is not a pre-built system - its a system built from components by Dustin Home.