Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When to get a Nikon D90?


There are currently lots of rumors floating around about an upcoming digital SLR from Nikon, the D90. The camera will most likely have:
  • 12 MP resolution on a DX sensor
  • Active D-Lighting
  • Live View
  • 3" LCD
  • 4,5 fps burst mode
  • 1080i and/or 1080p video recording
  • HDMI and GPS port
I want one. But when should I get it? I looked at historical price data for Nikon cameras and kits sold in Sweden (data from prisjakt.nu) and ended up with the following chart:



There is quite good correlation between different models (possibly excluding the D300) and the price drop, so a curve like this can probably be assumed for the D90 as well.

The introductory price for the D90 will probably be $1,000 and $1,300 with a 18-105 VR lens. I'm guessing this will translate to 10.000 SEK and 13.000 SEK. Now you only need to decide how much you want to pay and how long you are willing to wait.

I'm leaning towards getting the kit when the price drops to 10kSEK and I'm guessing this will happen around May 2009.

No comments: