Monday, January 7, 2008

Streaming music to the iPod touch

I'm still looking for a way to stream music to my iPod touch. The contenders are:


My main choice would be slimserver since I already have that up and running on my computer for the SqueezeBox. I've tried orb and was not impressed - it was very resource heavy and slowed my machine down to a crawl. Besides the stupid name, DOT.TUNES is not free.

Which leaves SimplifyMedia and weBot. From what I've read SimplifyMedia might be the way to go, but I'll have to try it out first. I got some orb vibes (i.e. slow and heavy web application) from the weBot screenshots and it seems to transcode music to an 128k stream, but it might be a good service. There's just something about having to sign in to a web site to access my music locally (my main use case is to access my music library on my computer from my iPod touch when I'm at home) that irks me.

I'll let you know if I find a solution I'm happy with.

No comments: