Saturday, October 13, 2007

Some good TV shows

Previously today I was thinking about writing some TV recommendations and when I read Johannes's request for pointers I figured I'd get started. What good is a HTPC and TV with no content to watch? The following are some of my personal favorites, both old and new:
  • The West Wing, Season 1-4. Aaron Sorkin stopped writing the show after season 4 and it was still very good, but no longer the best show ever. TWW is a show looking behind the scenes of the precidency of the United States.
  • Sports Night, Sorkin's first TV series is another look behind the scenes, this time at a sports show on TV. It might have been Felicity Huffman's and Peter Krause's breakthroughs - at least that's where I first noticed them.
  • Studio 60, Sorkin's latest TV show. If you're starting to see a pattern you can stop worrying, since Sorkin hasn't written anymore for TV yet. This is yet another look behind the scenes of a TV show, with Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford and Amanda Peet depicting the main characters behind a Saturday Night-like late TV show. Unfortunately the general reception of the first season hasn't been that good and it looks like the show has been cancelled.
  • On to the next writer, Steven Moffat, and two of his shows. Coupling is a brilliant british sitcom in a Friends-like setup but with a lot more bite. It was later reshot with an american cast, but you want the original british version.
  • Moffat's latest show is the drama series Jekyll. Only six episodes of the first season, and its unclear whether or not there will be more. James Nesbitt delivers an impressive performance in the role as Dr. Tom Jackman/Mr. Hyde.
  • Finally some quick tips on other shows I've enjoyed, but with no further motivation as this post is getting a tad long already: Gilmore Girls, Scrubs, Heroes, Grey's Anatomy, How I Met Your Mother, The Class (unfortunately cancelled after one season), Two and a Half Men, Californication, Boston Legal, Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and Entourage.
Some of the shows I started following but did not get that hooked on include Rome, The Riches (although I usually like Izzard's stand-up), and Dexter (only I only watched one or two episodes which weren't that bad - I might actually give this show another shot later).

So, do you have any tips of your own? Leave a comment.

No comments: