Sunday, October 14, 2007

DVB-T bug in Samsung Q97/Q96 plasma TV

After I got my HTPC I noticed that the built-in DVB-T reciever in my Samsung Q97 started to behave erratically (Q96 is an identical model with slightly different looks and should behave the same). Often the TV displayed "No Signal", although the analogue channels were working fine and the DVB-T receiver in my HTPC was showing digital channels perfectly.

Sometimes I could get the digital receiver to work after switching the TV off and then back on again, but after a while that didn't help either. So I had to start thinking. What had changed in my setup? I had added an HTPC connected over HDMI. After some testing I came to this conclusion:

If there is a signal on HDMI when you start the TV, the digital receiver will not work. Workaround: make sure your HDMI connected device is off when you turn on the TV.

I haven't seen this problem described anywhere else, but I'd be surprised if my TV was the only one behaving like this. Its a minor annoyance, but not a big enough problem to bother with the hassle of returning the set.

No comments: